There are a number of ways to get around Perth.

For short distances, you can consider public transport or taxis.

Based on your finances and the distance between your home and the campus, you may choose to own a car or travel by bicycle. A reasonably good second-hand bicycle can cost between $120 and $150 and you must wear a safety helmet. 

Public transport

The organisation that runs Perth’s public transport system (integrating buses, trains and ferries) is called Transperth.

Full-time international students are entitled to concession on public transport fares. To obtain concession fares, students can purchase a Tertiary SmartRider Card from the University Campus News and Gifts Newsagent. You need to validate your SmartRider Card on StudentConnect within seven days of purchase.

  • A card purchase fee of $5 applies. 
  • A minimum of $10 must be added to your SmartRider Card at the time of purchase.

Once you have added value to your SmartRider Card, you can use it on buses, trains and ferries. Using the SmartRider Card will save you over 15 per cent on cash fares. You will not be able to validate your card until you have completed your enrolment process at the University.


Taxis are fairly expensive and have non-negotiable meter charges. An extra charge is levied after 6pm, on weekends and public holidays.

Major taxi companies are:

  • Swan Taxis – telephone: 131 330  
  • Black & White Taxis – telephone: 131 008


Driving Licence

As a visitor to Western Australia you can drive on your overseas driver's licence for as long as it remains vaild.  For more information on driving in Western Australia and how to apply for a new licence, contact the WA Government Department of Transport.

Western Australia operates a demerit point system for drivers. Twelve points are allocated to you and are deducted when driving offences occur.  If you lose all points, your licence will be suspended for a period. 

The use of seat belts is compulsory. Not using your seat belt can result in a large fine.

Buying a car

If you decide to buy a car, consider the running costs involved, such as maintenance, insurance, registration, petrol and parking.

When inspecting a car, it is a good idea to take a friend who may know about cars for a second opinion.  If you are uncertain about the condition of a car, have it checked by a qualified person. The Royal Automobile Club of WA (RAC) provides an inspection service and a roadside assistance service for a fee.  

When purchasing a vehicle from a private seller, check the Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) to establish if any money is owed on the vehicle. 

Vehicle insurance and driver's licence

By law all vehicles are covered by compulsory Third Party Insurance which is incorporated into the car registration fee. It covers personal injury to other people involved in an accident with your car. It does not cover the cost of other damage, repairs to the other vehicle or to your own. Please note: a vehicle that is not registered cannot be driven.

It is recommended that you purchase separate comprehensive insurance to protect yourself against damage to your car and other vehicles in the event of an accident. If you are holding an international/overseas driving licence you should clarify with your insurer, before you purchase car insurance, whether the policy will cover you in the event of an accident.


If your overseas driving licence is not in English, you should have it translated to English through the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.