Visa Entitlements


Fair Work Ombudsman

Students and dependants of students intending to work in Australia must have a Work Right Visa. This is usually included in your Student Visa.

Your Student Visa allows you to work:

  • up to a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during academic term, and
  • unlimited hours during vacation periods.

Dependant family members granted Permission to Work are restricted to a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight at all times and are not allowed to work until the student begins their course.

Dependant family members granted Permission to Work have unlimited work rights if the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a Master's or Doctorate degree.

For more information about permission to work while studying, please check the Department of Home Affairs website.

Finding employment

Many students find work in restaurants, offices and shops. The best way to seek employment is through:

Although part-time work may be available, it is not plentiful or regular. You should not include potential income from work in your financial calculations or budget planning.

Tax file number and income tax

If you work, you will need to apply for a tax file number (TFN) through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You can apply for this online. Employers will need your tax file number to be able to deduct income tax from your salary before you receive it.

The ATO classifies international students studying in the country for six months or more as residents for taxation purposes. If you earn any income, you will have to submit a tax return at the end of the financial year (30 June). Interest earned from bank deposits or other investments are considered income and are subject to income tax.

If you are employed, your employer will deduct income tax from your salary and at the end of each financial year you will receive a Payment Summary showing your income and tax deductions. You must submit the summary with your completed tax return to the Taxation Office. Tax Returns can also be completed online using mytax.